one woman's journey through domestication

Friday, February 18, 2011

How far would you go?

To get what you want?

Maybe I am naive. Maybe I have seen enough 80's movies to think that this is an antiquated idea. But how many hoops unrelated to merit and achievement would you jump through to get ahead?

Situations where stubborn streaks are bad:
Hostage situations
Fights with a spouse
REFUSAL TO DO SOMETHING TO GET AHEAD AT WORK BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JOB PERFORMANCE

(Note to reader: while this seems to be a morality issue, and in a way it is, this does not have to do with anything inappropriate or unethical. Amen to that.)

So now I get to sit around and contemplate whether I am being unreasonable or if it is worth it to give into something I feel is wrong to (maybe, maybe not) get a shot at the advancement I want.

People who have made a stubborn refusal to compromise look noble:
Jesus
Fathers of the Constitution
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Abraham Lincoln
Rosa Parks
Woman's Suffrage-ettes


Have you ever heard praise of a leader in the vein of, "that so-and-so is such an amazing conformist."

I didn't think so. How about the terms, "independent, advocate, empowers self and others, thinks outside the box?"

No comments:

Post a Comment